top of page

How to aquire Residental Status in JAPAN?


Obtaining a residence status in Japan involves several steps tailored to your specific purpose of stay. Here's a concise overview:

  1. Select the Appropriate Status: Determine the residence status that aligns with your intended stay in Japan. Options include student, employment, family stay, among others.

  2. Gather Required Documents: Collect the necessary documents based on your chosen residence status. Typically, this includes your passport, application forms, photos, proof of funds, and educational certificates.

  3. Complete the Application Form: Accurately fill out the residence status application form, being careful to provide correct information.

  4. Pay Application Fees: Expect to pay a set application fee for your residence status application. Keep the payment receipt for your records.

  5. Submit to the Relevant Authority: Visit your nearest immigration office or foreign registration center to submit your documents and pay the fees.

  6. Review and Approval: Your residence status application will go through a review process before approval. Processing times can vary, so apply well in advance.

  7. Receive Your Residence Card: Once your residence status is approved, you'll receive a residence card. This card serves as proof of your legal stay in Japan.


It's crucial to adhere to these steps, provide accurate information, and stay informed about any updates or changes related to residence status applications. By following these procedures, you can smoothly navigate the process and enjoy your stay in Japan with confidence.

Residency Statuses in Japan

在留資格 (Zairyū Shikaku) refers to various residency statuses in Japan. These statuses allow foreign nationals to reside and engage in specific activities within the country. Here are some of the main categories of 在留資格 (residency statuses) in Japan:

  1. 留学 (Ryūgaku) - Student: For foreign nationals studying at Japanese educational institutions.

  2. 技術・人文・国際業務 (Gijutsu, Jinbun, Kokusai Gyōmu) - Technical and Humanities Activities: For individuals engaged in technical or academic research, cultural or artistic activities, or international business duties.

  3. 家族 (Kazoku) - Dependent: For spouses, children, or other dependents of individuals with other types of residency status.

  4. 永住者 (Eijūsha) - Permanent Resident: For foreign nationals who have been living in Japan for an extended period and meet certain criteria, allowing them to reside indefinitely.

  5. 特定技能 (Tokutei Ginou) - Specified Skilled Worker: Introduced to address labor shortages in specific industries, this status is for foreign workers with expertise in designated fields.

  6. 経営管理 (Keiei Kanri) - Business Manager: For individuals who start their own businesses in Japan or are hired in managerial positions.

  7. 外交 (Gaikou) - Diplomat: For foreign diplomats, embassy staff, and their families.

  8. 宗教 (Shūkyō) - Religious Activities: For those engaged in religious or missionary work.

  9. 研究 (Kenkyū) - Researcher: For researchers and academics.

  10. 文化活動 (Bunka Katsudō) - Cultural Activities: For participation in cultural, artistic, or intellectual activities.

  11. 一時滞在 (Ichi Jitai) - Temporary Visitor: For tourists or individuals staying temporarily without engaging in work or study.


These are just some of the many 在留資格 (residency statuses) available in Japan, each with its own specific requirements and limitations. The appropriate status depends on an individual's purpose and activities while in Japan.

Technical and Humanities Activities

The "Technical and Humanities Activities" residency status category is intended for domestic companies that hire international students or professionals. This category is applicable to foreign nationals who have experience in academic research, such as obtaining advanced degrees from graduate schools, or who have a professional background in research, engineering, or other specialized fields. It also includes foreign nationals who have a track record in cross-cultural communication. It's essential that there is a clear relevance between the duties performed after hiring and the foreign national's background and qualifications.

Business Management

The "Business Management" residency status category is available for foreign nationals who either start their own business in Japan or when domestic companies hire foreign nationals for executive or managerial positions.

For foreign nationals starting their own business, they must own or lease a business office, employ at least two full-time staff members, and have capital or investment exceeding 5 million yen.

When hiring foreign nationals for managerial positions, the foreign national must have at least three years of managerial experience, including the period of graduate school study related to business management.


The residence status "Professor" is a type of visa that foreign nationals can obtain when they are recruited as research or teaching staff at universities or other higher education institutions.

This status applies to universities, junior colleges, graduate schools, and other research and educational institutions. Employment in private research institutions and similar organizations falls under the "Technical, Humanities, and International Services" category mentioned above, requiring a different type of residence status.


Highly Skilled Professional

The residence status "Highly Skilled Professional" is a category that foreign nationals can obtain when they meet certain criteria for high-level academic research, advanced specialized technical activities, or advanced managerial roles based on factors such as their educational background, work experience, income, and age.

In addition to having a residence period of up to five years, individuals under this category can enjoy preferential treatment compared to other residence statuses. This includes the ability to bring along spouses, other family members, or domestic workers, as well as opportunities for the spouse to work in Japan.

bottom of page